Jill Kirsh Color Blog | The secret to looking great every day.

Aug/09

What’s up with Redheads and Heather Gray?

I was just at the bank and saw a bank officer  with red hair  wearing a gray suit.  Gray (most notably heather gray) on a redhead is one of their worst color choices. This was a beautiful gal, but the gray next to her hair just totally washed her out, made her look older and made her fabulous warm locks look like a bad dye job! That’s one of the reasons I developed my system and launched it on the web to make it available  to all of you redheads with a penchant for gray! I’ve put together so many other neutrals that will make you shine!

RSS Feed

6 Comments for What’s up with Redheads and Heather Gray?

C.Palette | September 6, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Your system is brilliantly simple Jill.
It makes it so easy to identify what is WRONG when someone looks “off”. There is now no confusion in picking out the best colors to look my best everyday.
Thank you.

Gigi | October 16, 2009 at 4:44 AM

I was watching QVC this morning (yes, at 5 AM in the morning) and the hostess was a beautiful readhead. She was wearing a brown shell, which looked fabulous…but she had a bright fuchsia sweater over the brown shell. Wow! Fuchsia on most redheads is as bad heather gray!

jill | October 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Hey Gigi!
You’re absolutely right! Was she wearing fuchsia lipstick too?!

Gigi | October 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Yes, her makeup was very bright, and yes, I think she was wearing fuchsia lipstick, too. The other day I saw the same redheaded hostess wearing golden browns and warm greens (as you recommend) and she absolutely glowed!

I was thinking of your system when I was looking at another color consultant. She is blond with fair skin and firmly believes 99% of women have cool skintone and should wear all of the colors you have recommend for people with dark brown and black hair. I like this consultant very much, but as a blond, she looks terrible in those colors. I agree, she looks more “powerful” in her “brand”…in a way, but she looses her identity and her personal “wow”. Her appearance takes away from her color system. Shhh…it’s Sandy Dumont, who has a great website and seems very, very, nice. I must add, she does make men and women look very “professional” and “business-like”…but I think you’re system and your before and after photos are more convincing.

jill | October 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Gigi | October 17, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Yes! Debra Messing looks perfect in that warm red dress! I like your description and use of the word “fragmented”, which the wrong colors can create!

Leave a comment!